This has been the end of another long week! with another long week of work to come!
I have narrowed it down to two possible concepts in which after testing I would be able to better narrow down from my options.
The idea behind this concept is a basic piece, which would form the traditional washroom, while an end piece can be added to extend the spatial footprint to create an accessible washroom. Each additional traditional washrooms can be latched on. And for each additional accessible washroom, you would simply have to attach an end piece to the traditional washroom part.
This system ensures that if you were to only provide one washroom facility at your festival, it would always be the accessible option.
Concept 2: (the image is currently made with a clear material, so that you can see through into the washroom stall and know what's inside)
This concept illustrates one accessible washroom that can expand into the large unit when in use (like an RV), when not in use, it can be compressed back into the closed position to take less space. The image only shows the washroom stall in a compressed state. The benefit of this washroom is that it is simple to install on site, requiring only expansion of the unit through either pulling the unit open, or winding a crank etc...
This week I spent some time in the woodshop and made two models that would illustrate certain mechanisms in my concepts.
Concept 1: would require some type of latching system to connect the two units together:
A handle on one side of the wall would act as the lever, and attach the two walls together.
Concept 2: Requires a flat floor when the unit is expanded:
Additionally, I have completed some basic technical drawings, and prepared material for my user testing on tuesday! so stay tune for that post!